Saturday, August 13, 2011

Scotland, Day 8 and 9

 Before I forget.  When I get back to California (after a few days of rest), I plan to edit the entire blog.  Next I'll print it, so students can keep a copy for their pictures.  This will help them remember where we went a few years down the road.

For the past two days, we've been on-the-go constantly.  After our final performance yesterday, with a small audience, we felt so relieved.  Our Scottish friends, Charles, Nancy, Karen, and Jacques came and loved it.  Charles (86 years old) marveld at the topics that students would choose to write about.  He felt it was very sophisticated.  He was especially impressed by their knowledge of Hitler, Mother Teresa, and Stalin, and how they were used in this setting.  We had a little mishap before the performance ( as student fell), so we worried about her, but she's fine. I felt sad to see it end but happy not to worry about it any more.  Bringing all the customes and small props with us every time became overwhelming at times.  I'm so proud of our Lobo actors.  Such professionals.

After returning to our dorms with our costumes, some relaxed and others went out.  We left again at 5:30 PM to go see a high school performance:  The Women in Lockerbee.  It was a difficult play to do but they did it.  Then we walked for 20 minutes to the Jolly Ristorante for our dinner.  All eleven of us sat together in a small Italian restaurant.  We had a great meal:  salad or soup; pasta, chicken, pizza, or fish; ice cream.  Of course, they ate well as they were starving.  We then rushed to find taxis for the students who were going to see Good Death, the five-star play Mr. Burt and I had seen.  Unfortunately, not all of them could get it in.  I wish you had seen them when we put them in the cabs and made them pay this time!  Mr. Burt and I walked to the same area our students were and saw What must go up..., where a mother, her 14 year old son, and her past lover camp and where her son meets his father for the first time. 

Today we left at 9 AM to go sighseeing all day (by coach).  We toured Sterling Castle, shopped and ate lunch in a small village, saw several lakes and lodges.  It was a day of leisure since we could just sit back and enjoy  without having to plan anything.  I have pictures of our students getting excited about meeting the Scottish cows (mom and dad) and their son.  They could feed them vegetables. 

Tonight they're going to shows (different ones) and some are going in the dungeons for the ghost show.  They've been waiting for the ghosts all week!  With all their shopping, I'm a little worried about their packing tomorrow and the weight.  Today one bought a great jacket for 5£; another bought a suit for £9 - all at the thrift store!

Tomorrow we have our closing ceremony.  We plan to take them to the Cadanian play Spent, a satire/comedy about two financial investors who lost everything in 2008 and committed suicide.  It involves many famous financial institutions around the world.  We then go to our celebration dinner and home to pack.  I don't think I'll have any time to write till I get home.  I'll see.

I want to thank you for your kind comments about the blog.  I share them with the students and Mr. Burt.  I have enjoyed every bit of this trip and feel so honored to come along.  It has been an absolute joy to watch our Lobos mature here; they're becoming independent which is a good sign in their development. 

No comments:

Post a Comment