Sunday, August 7, 2011

Scotland, Day 3

I'm actually writing early as we will be very late the next two days and I'm not sure I'll be able to get to a computer.

We went to the Royal Mile where all the action is in Edinburgh.  We saw the one hour play, Show Me the World by the Bridge Theatre Company.  It was written by Simon Vinnicombe who won the Pearson Bursary Award in 2010.  We walked down several narrow streets and stopped at the Underbelly where we were to see the play.  As we entered the establishment, we noticed newspapers glued to the walls.  We had to climb narrow stairs to the small theatre that held 50 people.  It was so cozy.  I wish you had observed the students' faces as they got involved in the play.  They were totally engaged in the excellent production of topics we don't talk about in the world; many said, "It is real."  We learned about the characters' dilemmas about their relationships, jobs, love, education, and friendship through music, singing, Facebook entries, slides, and iphones.  It was like watching our young people on stage facing their life decisions.

Soon we rehearse again and hopefully I'll remember my small part in it!!  After dinner we will go to a dance and participate and learn Scottish dancing.  I can't wait.  Tomorrow is the big day:  we perform for the first time.

Our Lobos now remember to bring their rain gear and their bus tickets.  We don't have to remind them anymore.  They're adjusting to the British way of life.

2 comments:

  1. thanks for keeping us posted on what's happening over there. I can imagine you are all having a blast, taking in all the sights. How was the first performance?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful! I can hardly wait for the next update. Tell our darlings to break a leg - I know they'll be fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete