Sunday, August 7, 2011

Scotland - Day 2

First of all, I want to apologize if I make a spelling error, but I'm on a timer - $3.75 for 30 min.  The keyboard is different, so I goof at times.  Secondly, I want to assure parents that our kids are safe.  Every person here must wear a blacelet with a phone number to call at any time.  We just go into a store and they'll call for us.  We can't get on busses without it along with our bus pass.  They're extremely careful and strict.

Yesterday we were introduced to our theatre where we'll perform for the first time tomorrow.  It's so much smaller and more primitive than ours at Elsie Allen.  I marveled at the technical rehearsal over the kids and how they just knew what to do.  Along with the tech supervisors, they got on the ladder to re-adjust the lights to go with our play; students placed props around the stage and tagged the floor with tape; Jonathan and Juan were learning how to run the equipment (sounds, lights, etc.) which is not in a separate room but with the audience.  They perfected this over the next two hours and actually ran out of time.   We didn't finish! Coming on and off the stage is tricky as it is small and all curtained off.  I now have a job as well.  I'm the house manager and will have to inform the actors when the play starts.  I open doors, collect ticket stubs, and open the back door at the end of the performance.  I had to be instructed what to do in case of a fire, a person fainting, or having a heart attack.  Now I feel extremely important and hope I don't mess up my little part of this endeavor.

Later in the day we then rehearsed the entire play for more than two hours.  Since it was a big room, they arranged it like the state, so I was priviledged to see how fast they changed their costumes.  The play ran one hour and five minutes.  Their confidence has improved since they've been here.  I think the atmosphere of the place reflects they're talented teens performing here.  Since Jonathan and Juan have to use the Ipod for the music and sounds, Jonathan later fixed it to improve the technical side during the performance tomorrow.  Every time I see the performance, I notice changes in their demeanor.  This time a few of our actors added more zest to their character (they're getting into it full blast).  As always, Rob reviewed points to improve while they wrote down what they must remember.

Later that night we returned to the Royal Mile where four of the kids went to see the play Shhhh, a musical production by college kids.  It apparently was terrible.  Others shopped.  We will now go to the dungeons later and experience ghosts as they found a place for that.

Time is up.  They continue to impress me.

No comments:

Post a Comment